[SlugBug] Re: Suggestions

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Tue Jul 15 21:04:49 BST 2003

> Sounds good to me, and as another Neil has pointed out, it could still
> be pronounced Slug :)

+1 on that as well.

> i - fairly straight forward, but here is my take.  I would like to be a
> part of a friendly, no-l33t speaking (ahem, sorry Alex :p), non nit-wit
> run, group of people who share a common interest, whether it be in an
> IRC channel, forum, or over a pint or two.

> ii - Why... hmmm, that's a good one.  Obviously the standard text about
> why LUGs exist should suffice, but perhaps a little more would be
> required for this, as it is definitely treading on the toes of an
> already established LUG in our area.  Putting across why this one has
> been started (I like Bruno's forked idea) in another's stead would have
> to be handled diplomatically.

Well, the reason is that some people don't think it's right to
administrate a LUG in an autocratic / despotic fashion. It's simply a
different model... Hence the idea of shared administration. We need to
figure out a way of doing that though...

I suppose that when there is an extreme measure to be taken (i.e.
banning someone from the list) there should be a vote, a la newsgroups.

Proposed convention:

* if you want to vote, you reply and you append subject with either YES,
NO, BLANK. Makes it easy to figure out what wins by just looking at the
subject.

What do you think?

I don't think there's much to worry about stepping on anybody's toes...
this is after all the spirit of free software: look at KDE / Gnome,
Postgres / MySQL, Perl vs PHP, etc.

Competition is a good thing. This list is in existence because there
seems to be... how can I put it... "room for improvement" compared with
the existing one (on which I never subscribed, but I've heard tales...
:)).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.