[SlugBug] FTP strangeness causing rapid hair loss

Chris J cej at nightwolf.org.uk
Fri Aug 29 00:27:30 BST 2003

And Lo! The Great Prophet Jonathan uttered these words of wisdom:

> So, the question is, why is it happening and how can I get back to the
> sort of speeds I should have? I've switched ports, cables, NICs (only
> the same type). I'm running a fully updated XP, FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE with
> the latest version of proftpd installed with a default configuration. I
> have no firewall running on either box. Both boxes are saying they are
> running at 100Mbps, the Lucent at 10Mbps. Unplugging the Lucent (not for
> long, my LAN doesn't like being an island :) ) makes no difference to
> the situation. Both boxes are running hardware RAID mirrors and there
> are no signs of disk problems.

Let's try the software first; use XP's bog standard FTP and look at the
transfer speeds -- better / worse / or no different. It could be that the
software ain't too hot :)

Also, the netgear can be ruled out if you have a crossover cable by
connecting the two machines back-to-back leaving out the router. Although
TBH it sounds like a software issue - if it was hardware, I'd expect the
200 you get from 1 FTP to be cut to 66 (ish) between each of three FTP's.

Chris...

--
\ Chris Johnson           \ NP: Inkubus Sukkubus - 03. Kiss Of Hades
 \ cej at nightwolf.org.uk    ~-----,