[SlugBug] [HELP] UT2003 demo, ALSA and Sound

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Sat Aug 16 16:05:10 BST 2003

> That's weird, I installed the fully version on a RedHat
> box when it came out and I didn't have any problems, I
> sadly haven't got around to playing it much though :-(

Yes but Redhat uses OSS/Free rather than ALSA by default I think.

> Try the full version rather than the demo one? How are
> other game like Q3A running, if you have them installed?

Ain't got the full version at home.

Quake3 works fine. I get a pretty decent framerate too (90+ FPS in
1600x1200. Just showing off :))

I've tried a devastation beta installer (found on icculus.org, great
site) and I get no sound at all in devastation, which doesn't surprise
me since devastation uses the UT2003 engine.

In particular, both use OpenAL and in both cases it doesn't work.

Warcraft III under WineX works fine and the sound works fine too.

Guys any ideas? I'm really stuck on that one...
Question: is there a way to tell UT2003 to use the OSS emulation layer
rather than the ALSA native stuff? It might be something like that...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.