[SlugBug] slugbug.org.uk - what do you want!?

Matthew Collins matthew at janes.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 22:19:25 BST 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 05:33:37PM +0100, Beneath wrote:

> I personally think there are tonnes of great sites that offer resources
> on Linux... trying to create more from scratch will just make the site
> look unfinished, because such content (even creating a portal site)
> takes time to create.
> There are so many LUG sites i see that just can't decide what they want
> to be.

I agree.

> Here is all i think the SlugBug site should need to offer:
>
> - A central column with news in it. I'm not talking about reconsituted
> slashdot news, but rather LUG specific and local *nix news.
> It'd be cool if these news had comments a la slashcode.

[snip]

> is like and where it is held.- And obviously links to things like the
> mailing list, the forum if we have one, and a page about an IRC channel
> if it'd exist(hehehe).

I must say that scoop sounds ideal for this. It's based on the same
ideas as slashcode (articles, with comments in) but it's much more
flexible.

I am biased though, because I run my own scoop site, and I develop for
it :)

Scoop can have multiple sections. It's got a pretty flexible permissions
system. You can comment in stories. It's got a built in text adverts
system.

You could easily set it up so that you had a front page with articles on
it. People could comment on those articles easily.
You can also allow people to submit articles themselves. The best thing
is, the community decides if the article gets published or not by voting
on it.

You can go to my site for an example.

http://janes.demon.co.uk/scoop/

Or look at the biggest site running scoop (which is a tech & news site)
called kuro5hin

http://www.kuro5hin.org/

I'm known as hulver on there.

> Other sites do stuff beyond that perfectly well. If someone can think of
> something that is actually original, or could be tailored to a local
> scope and make it more useful for that purpose, then great... but i
> don't think we need to do stuff other people are already doing.

I agree. Keep it to slugbug specific issues.

--
BOFH excuse #254:

Interference from lunar radiation