[SlugBug] slugbug.org.uk - what do you want!?

Neil McGovern maulkin at halon.org.uk
Fri Aug 8 21:23:15 BST 2003

I think this was meant to be list-reply :P

Neil

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 19:21, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > Me neither, but one that does versioning (some use CVS
> > back-ends) would be good.
>
> http://wiki.halon.org.uk uses kwiki, and has versioning. I'd reccomend
> it :P

CGI::KWiki is nice (you'll even find some patches from me on kwiki.org
:o). Kwiki also gains bonus points for being written in the correct
language, and for being bizarrely extensible (Ingy has a blog run off
kwiki on his site..). It is a bit new though (for example, HTML entities
don't 'survive' kwiki atm, although it's easy to fix).

I wouldn't personally go down the wiki route, though, of course this
depends on what the final site is going to be like. The one thing that
the UK has missed for a while has been a news aggregator for Free
Software news - linuxuk.co.uk filled the slashdot-uk hole for quite a
while, but hasn't been around for a good couple of years. This may mean
that there is no hole any more and that everyone reads the Register, I
don't know.

I would kind of do the bloggy rss-sucky thing, a bit like Planet Gnome
if you've seen that. Pull feeds together in something simple (I haven't
seen mod_virgule mentioned), there are people who already publish news
in feeds, there are people around here who blog, there's all sorts of
things which would be semantically interesting to join up.

Articles and things are vaguely interesting, but it's a lot of work to
write stuff and keep going, especially when it would be duplicating
other work. Start small but stay scalable...

Cheers,

Alex.
Q. Why is top posting bad?
gpg key - http://www.halon.org.uk/pubkey.txt ; the.earth.li 8DEC67C5