[SlugBug] sluggish server - 100% swapped out

Neil R Porter n.r.porter at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 8 16:47:20 BST 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 16:08, Bill Best wrote:
> scenario - sluggish server
>
> action 1 - ran top
>
> observations - swap 100% used, kswapd using 70% CPU, time 950.0
>
> action 2 - ps aux (nothing conclusive to my untrained eye)
>
> action 3 - (ahem) rebooted
>
> status now - all seems to be well, swap 100% free
>
> questions - (i)what was going on/wrong?
>             (ii) did i do the right thing?
>             (iii) if not, what should i have done?
>             (iv) what preventative action could i take?

(i) no idea
(ii) sounds like it ;)
(iii) You can still take a look at messages and logs to see what was
happening with your services.
(iv) I use SIM ( http://r-fx.net/sim.php ) which can be set to do nice
things at certain server loads, and also monitor/restart services etc.

Without knowing more about the specifics I can't think of anything else
at the moment.

Neil
--
Neil R Porter <n.r.porter at btinternet.com>