[Shefflea-broadband] YHGfL outage - 26 - 30 July

Wynne Andy Andy.Wynne at sheffield.gov.uk
Wed Jul 16 16:37:25 BST 2008

Colleagues,

YHGfL have informed us that there will be a service outage over the
weekend of 26/27 July, and that this work will extend into the week,
with a worst case of Wednesday 30 July before service can be restored.
They will be taking down the main PoP at Wakefield. The message from
YHGfL containing details of services affected is below. For schools
running learning activities during this period, we have identified a
workaround, based on provision of unfiltered internet access - if you
are affected by the shutdown in this way and wish to look at this
workaround, please contact me asap.

I apologise for the inconvenience this may cause - as the YHGfL message
says, there is no good time to do this work, the aim is to minimise the
disruption.

Man thanks,

Andy Wynne

Due to essential maintenance and a substantial reorganisation of power
feeds which needs to be carried out on our racks of equipment at our
data centre, we need to find a window where we can carry our first
shutdown period for two years. Due to the nature of the work, it would
be impossible to do this in batches or in a sequence of short shutdowns.

During the period the following services will be unavailable :-

   1. Connectivity to Wakefield Data Centre (Raw internet feed and
failover ISP takers will be unaffected)
   2. DNS (Domain Hosting)
   3. Email (Webmail IMAP and POP server)
   4. Email Relay (Inbound/Outbound SMTP)
   5. Loc8
   6. Reverse Proxy (School VLE, internally hosted websites and portal
sites)
   7.VPN (Access to LA and school networks from outside)
   8. Video Conferencing
   9. Web Content Filtering (Internet access for schools including any
libraries and CLCs that take a filtered feed from YHGfL)
  10. Web Hosting (YHGfL hosted school websites)
  11.Windows Update Service

No time is a good time for this, but we have identified the 26th to 30th
July *inclusive* as the window - please note that the first two days are
Saturday and Sunday in order to minimise impact on working days.

==========
Andy Wynne
eLearning Development Adviser
Learning & Achievement Service
E: andy.wynne at sheffield.gov.uk
T: 0114 293 0978
F: 0114 250 6859
M: 07814 610703
The information in this email is
intended for the addressee(s) only.
If you are not the addressee, please
tell us by using the reply facility
in your email software as soon as
possible.
Sheffield City Council cannot accept
any responsibility for the accuracy
or completeness of this message as it
has been transmitted over a public
network. If you suspect that the
message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as
possible.
Sheffield City Council may monitor all email passing through its networks.