[Shefflea-broadband] Broadband migration update

Andy Wynne awynne at ssclc.net
Tue May 8 10:34:00 BST 2007

Colleagues,

Just a note to update you on some issues following the migration to the new
ISP solution:

1. DNS: YHGfL have informed us that we should not use the new DNS settings
at this stage, but should contirnue to point to the old BT settings, namely
10.0.4.21/22. I apologise for any confusion caused by the information on the
YHGfL wiki. A note has been added to the wiki to clarify the situation. See
http://wiki.yhgfl.net/bin/view/YHPublic/YhgflFilteredInternetFaq for the up
to date information

2. SMTP: Users who send and receive email using client software should use
either smtp.yhgfl.net or the old BT address (smtp.bty-h.org.uk). We have had
reports that some users have had a username/password challenge when sening
mail - this should not have been triggered by the YHGFL/BT smtp servers,
which do not require authentication for mail from within the schools' ip
ranges. The issue is under investigation, but if this is reported it is
certainly worth checking that the client software/local exchange server is
not set to require authentication for outgoing mail. The digital brain smtp
server should not be used on the YHGfL network.

Please continue to report issues via the SIMS helpdesk, via email to
mailto:ed-simshelp at sheffield.gov.uk

Regards,

Andy Wynne

=========
Andy Wynne
Sheffield South CLC & Sheffield Schools Broadband Project
awynne at ssclc.net
www.ssclc.net
T: 0114 258 7728
F: 0114 258 7592