[sheffield-coops] Co-operative schools in Sheffield

Mervyn Wilson Mervyn at co-op.ac.uk
Wed May 15 08:13:00 GMT 2013

Chris,

Thank you for the note regarding the development of co-operative schools
in Sheffield which arrived the day I was involved in discussions with a
number of heads in Sheffield about potential developments.

We are now approaching over five hundred schools in total that have
adopted co-operative models (see attached) but the distribution has been
uneven, and Sheffield is one of the areas that to date has been very
limited development.  There are four strong primary schools in a
Co-operative Trust adjacent to City School - which you will be aware has
been considerable difficulties this year and is in the process of
becoming a sponsor academy.

Birley Community College is in the process of conversion to a
Co-operative Trust and that will be in operation from September. Birley
is encouraging local primary schools to consider become part of a shared
trust later - most of the larger trusts evolve in this way. We have
arranged a meeting with local primary heads interested in exploring
co-operative trusts in early June. We hope that will lead to many more
considering the option later in the year. There are other developments
in South Yorkshire including a nine school trust in Wath that will
complete the legal processes in July.

I would be  happy to assist in getting speakers to a session about
co-operative schools but we already have a lot of commitments during
co-operatives fortnight, so we might struggle with a date.  An
alternative might be to organise something later in the year,  possibly
at Birley as a new co-operative school?

Let me know your views and I will happily help tie up arrangements.

I would also be interested in exploring which co-operatives within
Sheffield would be interested in becoming partners in co-operative
trusts, as we all seek to involve a co-operative partner where possible
but often struggle to find ones with the capacity to do so.  There is no
financial commitment, just a commitment to work with the schools in the
long term.  Partner organisations  appoint a trustee, so there is time
commitment, and also an opportunity to help develop the co-operative
dimension in the trust.

The local Co-operative Party have been very supportive of the
development of co-operative schools so are there any links between you
and them?  A joint meeting may secure greater support.

It would also be good to involve Meg Munn in any such meeting. Meg
recently introduced a ten minute rule bill on co-operative schools - see
attached.

Regards

Mervyn

________________________________

Mervyn Wilson
Chief Executive and Principal

Tel:   0161 819 3031

Mob: 07813 604016

 www.co-op.ac.uk <http://www.co-op.ac.uk/>       @coop_collegeUK
<http://www.twitter.com/coop_collegeUK>       www.co-op.ac.uk/feed
<http://www.co-op.ac.uk/feed>

Putting education at the heart of co-operation and co-operation at the
heart of education

Sign up to the College's newsletter at
www.co-op.ac.uk/news/college-newsletter
<http://www.co-op.ac.uk/news/college-newsletter/> .

The Co-operative College, Holyoake House, Hanover Street, Manchester,
M60 0AS.
Registered charity no. 1060008. Tel: 0161 819 3000 Fax: 0161 819 3001
email: enquiries at co-op.ac.uk <mailto:enquiries at co-op.ac.uk>

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is
addressed and is not intended to be relied upon by any person without
subsequent written confirmation of its contents. Accordingly, the
Co-operative College disclaim all responsibility and accept no liability
(including in negligence) for the consequences for any person acting, or
refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by
those persons of subsequent written confirmation. If you have received
this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately,
delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any form
of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this email message is strictly
prohibited without the prior permission of the author.