[Sfcupdate] Conference tomorrow!! Please read this!

Sean Farmelo sean at students.coop
Thu Oct 30 13:06:44 GMT 2014

This email is a mix of info on this weekend’s conference and info
relevant to everyone involved in student co-ops and Students for
Cooperation. Please read!

 1.

    Call for SfC co-op membership

 2.

    Call for short reports from co-ops

 3.

    Call for General Meeting proposals

     1.

        Proposals already submitted: SfC Values, Aims & Principles; SfC
        Democracy Regulations; Safer Spaces Policy

 4.

    Conference Travel Pool

 5.

    Conference Accommodation

 6.

    Venues

 7.

    Key Contacts

 1.

    *Call for SfC co-op membership

    *To be able to benefit fully from Students for Cooperation’s
    support, events and resources, and to formally partake in Students
    for Cooperation’s democratic processes it is necessary for your
    co-op to join Students for Cooperation. Membership is free! Please
    email contact at students.coop to join, or if you have any queries
    about membership.

 2.

    *Call for short reports from co-ops

    *General Meetings will include reports from Member Co-ops, briefly
    outlining recent notable developments in your co-op. You might want
    to include things like changes in membership participation, problems
    you have been facing, new grant funding, changes to the business,
    successful events etc. These reports will help us all to keep up to
    date with one another, learn from one another, and help us all to
    decide Students for Cooperation’s upcoming priorities. Please email
    to _contact at students.coop_ <mailto:contact at students.coop> well
    before Sunday, especially if none of your members are coming to
    conference! :)

 3.

    *Call for General Meeting proposals
    *
    Is there something you would like Students for Cooperation to be
    doing? General Meetings are the formal means by which Member Co-ops
    decide how Students for Cooperation should operate, policies it
    should adopt, or views it should hold. Whilst it will be possible to
    bring proposals on the day, any detailed proposals are best done by
    submitting a resolution ahead of the meeting. This also gives people
    time to consider your resolution and propose amendments. If you’d
    like to bring a resolution or have any queries about this process
    please email _contact at students.coop_ <mailto:contact at students.coop>.

    GM Agenda:
    _http://www.students.coop/autumn-conference-general-meeting-agenda/_*
    *

     1.

        *Proposals already submitted
        *
        Several proposals have already been submitted, covering SfC’s
        proposed Values, Aims and Principles, Democracy Regulations -
        which in addition to the company rules would outline our
        democratic structures, and a proposed safer spaces policy. They
        can be found here:
        _http://www.students.coop/autumn-conference-general-meeting-agenda/_*
        *

 4.

    *Conference Travel Pool
    *
    Students for Cooperation is currently operating on a very thin
    shoestring, so we are not able to provide much travel subsidy. To
    make the conference affordable and accessible to everyone we are
    running a travel pool - by all chipping and cooperating in we spread
    the cost. When you arrive you will be given a form on which you will
    write down your travel costs and submit receipts. *Even if you have
    not had to pay anything to get here, please fill out the form.* If
    everyone coming from Edinburgh helps out then it’ll make a massive
    difference.

 5.

    *Conference Accommodation*

    Thank you to everyone who has formally registered, and to everyone
    who has already offered up space for people to stay! On arrival you
    will be asked to confirm/clarify whether you need somewhere to stay,
    or can host people. Allocating places ahead of the day never goes to
    plan, but we’ll then let you know as soon after arrival as possible
    who you’ll be staying with.

 6.

    *Venues*

    On Friday the conference and the hallowe’en dinner and party are
    hosted in Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative, at 28 Wright’s
    Houses, Edinburgh, EH10 4HR.

    On Saturday and Sunday the conference will be in the Edinburgh
    University Chaplaincy, part of the Potterrow Mandela Student Centre
    on Bristo Square, EH8 9AL.

    The social on Saturday evening is in the Loft Bar in EUSA’s Teviot
    Row House, also on Bristo Square, EH8 9AJ.

    More info on venues and guides to venue accessibility can be found
    here: _http://www.students.coop/agenda-2014-autumn-conference/_

 7.

    *Key Contacts*

    Jot down these two phone numbers, and call them if you need help at
    any point over the weekend:

    Mike Shaw:*07540248868
    *Sean Farmelo:*07972610148*

    A phone number for any safer spaces concerns will be publicised on
    arrival.

We’re struggling to contain our excitement, and look forwards to seeing
you all either this weekend or in the hopefully-not-too-distant-future!

*The Autumn Conference Organisers xxx*

/Somewhere in Edinburgh Student Housing Co-op/