[Sfcupdate] moving organising to loomio until conference - please sign up!

Sean Farmelo sean at students.coop
Wed Aug 6 17:12:30 GMT 2014

Hi all,

I'm just getting in contact about Students For Co-operation and how we
are going to plan for the next conference which is pencilled in for the
end of September in Edinburgh.

A few of us in the democracy working group have been (very minimally)
experimenting using loomio to organise with. I know there was a lot of
discussion in the communications working group in feburary at conference
about what platform to use, but it does seem to me that emails aren't
working too well at the moment and that we could really do with some
sort of group decision making tool. There have been discussions about
this at a number of conferences/ gatherings that I've been to around the
country recently and the general feeling is that we should try something
different. A number of co-ops are already actively using loomio (brum
and edin student housing co-ops) so it seems the logical step for us to
take. Loomio is a platform created by a workers co-op in New Zealand
which allows for proposals and consensus decision making along with sub
groups and it's simple to use. You can make a profile using your
facebook or google account

My proposal is that I will invite everyone to loomio and post it in the
other groups both on facebook and loomio and we see how it goes in the
run up to conference, and then we can re-evaluate communications at that
point.

You can Join the loomio here:
https://www.loomio.org/g/LT4Ofqmn/students-for-cooperation if you have
any problems joining send me an email and I'll add your email manually.

Cheers all! hope your summer is going well :D

Sean.