[ptx] 16bit vs. HDR (was:Adobe DNG format SDK)

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Tue May 2 09:37:55 BST 2006

On Tue 25-Apr-2006 at 13:29 -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 09:44, JD Smith wrote:
> >
> > Part of my brainstormed workflow (apart from the MDR blending of 3
> > +2,0,-2 bracketed images to fit snugly in a 16bit container) was the
> > ability to work with the intermediate 16bit linear MDR images as if they
> > were just normal images (TIFFs converted from RAW, say).

I still think this ought to be a valid approach, though I'm not sure
what tools to use to create such a 16bit image.

It could even be a preferred approach since full HDR generation is
labourious - With not much to gain when all you are doing is
creating a low dynamic range panorama.

> I would say that it is worth while to test Hugin and enblend with 32 bit TIFFs
> if you have software that will create these.

Ok done, see below.

> The above link to the panotools wiki has what appears to me to be a fairly
> conventional 16 bit work flow.  It is only slightly different from what I
> use.

I split the wiki page into two, since it didn't make much sense
before:

http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=16bit_workflow_with_hugin
http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=HDR_workflow_with_hugin

...basically the full 32bit floating-point workflow is quite
practical, though getting the various tools to play nicely with each
other took a while.

> But I do use UFRaw (so my images are gamma corrected) and I also color
> manage my images during raw conversion.

I'd be interested in an overview on how you do this.

--
Bruno