[ptx] Anouncement - LPROF-1.11.3 Developemnt Snapshot Released

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed Mar 8 23:36:01 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 12:42 pm, Brian wrote:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> >Lprof is about colourmanagement. If you dont care about close matching
> >between your scans/digital photos, monitor and printer, thats nothing you
> >need in the first place.
> >Most digital cameras have allready some kind of colourmanagement inside -
> >they cut down to the sRGB standard. Most other devices have not and it is
> >up to the drivers to care about colours or as in the sane case they dont.
> >
> >regards
> >Kai-Uwe Behrmann
> >                                + development for color management
> >                                + imaging / panoramas
> >                                + email: ku.b at gmx.de
> >                                + http://www.behrmann.name
>
> Looks like an interesting piece of software I may have to have a look at
> some time.
>
> Got myself a new camera (Fuji S5600), so now is as good a time as any to
> learn colour management!
>
> regards
>

> --
> Brian

Brian,

Kai_Uwe is correct if you are using either the cameras built in image
processing (creating jpegs or tiffs in the camera) or possibly the camera
manufacturers RAW software you will in most cases get images that are in
either (most common) the sRGB or the AdobeRGB color space.   But if you are
using a third party RAW processing program like UFRAW the images will have
way more gamut (range of colors captured/represented) than sRGB can handle
without significant color compression or loss.  My RAW image Nikon D70
profiles have a gamut that is almost twice as large as sRGB (69% of Lab space
vs. 35% for sRGB).   Current versions of LPROF help files include a fairly
detailed tutorial on camera profiling using UFRAW that should also be of use
to those using other RAW processing software or possibly other profiling
software.

Hal