[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] branching libpano

Daniel M. German dmgerman at uvic.ca
Mon Jun 26 22:24:01 BST 2006

 Bruno Postle twisted the bytes to say:

 Bruno> Daniel M. German wrote:

 Bruno> 2. Freeze 'pano12' at 2.8.3, fork a library called 'libpano' which
 Bruno> will not be binary compatible and which will probably change again
 Bruno> in the future.

 >> If we take this approach I suggest we use 2.8.1. (tag 'release-2-8-1')
 >>
 >> Or better, move the library as it was just after 2006-05-06 18:22.  I
 >> checked the CVS logs and this is the last commit before I moved
 >> PTcommon.h into the library:

 Bruno> I thought that binary compatibility had been maintained until the
 Bruno> day before I released 2.8.4?

 Bruno> Either way, I propose creating a CVS branch for the
 Bruno> backwards-compatible pano12 and changing the files in the trunk so
 Bruno> the library is built as pano.dll, libpano.so etc...

I feel it would be better in the long term to create a different
module (pano12) instead of a branch. It will make it easier to
administer and manage each. It is the way Apache handles its branches
and it seems to be very effective.

dmg

 Bruno> Though I'd like to hear from people who use the library first as
 Bruno> they need to make changes too, Max, Pablo, any comments?  (Pablo is
 Bruno> away at the moment).

 Bruno> --
 Bruno> Bruno

 Bruno> _______________________________________________
 Bruno> PanoTools-devel mailing list
 Bruno> PanoTools-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

Daniel M. German                  "To take photographs is to hold one's breath
                                   when all faculties converge
                                   in the face of fleeing reality.
                                   It is at that moment that
                                   mastering an image becomes a
   Henri Cartier-Bresson ->        great physical and intellectual joy."
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .