[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] branching libpano

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Tue Jun 20 10:00:20 BST 2006

Daniel M. German wrote:

> Perhaps one solution to reduce this problem is to have a different
> name. pano13 might find confusing, how about creating a new module
> (called pano12) and copy all the files from the current libpano to
> that. Then we keep developing "libpano". pano12 will always be
> compatible with PTstitcher (at least as long as OSs can load it and
> execute it) and libpano will be the "next generation" library.

I have no real problem forking the project like this, it would be
easy to switch the actively developed tools to use the new library.

What would be wrong is if it ended up with two separate projects
being actively developed - This is the situation the sourceforge
project was created to fix (at one point there were four different
forks and people had to switch libraries to get the feature they
wanted).

If PTmender gets finished, PTStitcher and the old pano12 can be
officially retired and there is no problem - Though developers who
link to pano12 will have to get used to the API/ABI changing
occasionally.

What is remaining in PTmender?

* Other input formats (full-frame and circular fish-eye,
equirectangular and cylindrical) - Some of these kind-of work already.

* Feathering - Is this really necessary.

--
Bruno