[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] automatic gain adjustment

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 05:24:19 BST 2006

Another approach:
>From a paper I found at http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/multipano called
Photographing long scenes with multi-viewpoint panoramas. ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2006), 2006

The relevant text:
The next pre-processing step is to compensate for exposure variation
between the source photographs, which is a common problem
for panoramic stitching [Uyttendaele et al. 2001].
We associate a brightness scale factor Ki to each image, and for two
photographs Li, Lj we assert that Ki x Li = Kj x Lj for pixels that depict the same geometry.
Each SIFT point match between two images gives us three linear
constraints of this form (one for each color channel). We solve
for the values of Ki that best meet these constraints in a least-squares
sense by solving a linear system. (The linear system is defined only
up to a global scale, so we include a weak prior that each Ki = 1.)

This is the kind of compensation that perhaps could be implemented within hugin.

Doug