[ptx] Best way to compensate for different exposure/metering/white balance settings

carbon14 at fastmail.fm carbon14 at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 26 11:01:34 BST 2006

Hi all.

I'm trying to create a panorama out of five photos that I took recently,
but unfortunately I took the photos before reading about fixing the
metering/white balance when taking shots for a panorama. I've created a
test panorama that I'm quite happy with, but there are obvious problems
with the photos having different exposure settings (showing up as
gradients along the stitch lines).

My questions is: what's the recommended way (using, say, the Gimp) of
trying to remove these differences. I could spending hours using the
Gimp's "levels" and "curves" tools and adjusting values by hand until
things looked better, but I was wondering whether there was some
"semi-automatic" way of correcting the differences.

In case it helps, I've put up the panorama here:
http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/panorama.jpg
and the original photos (including their exif data) here:
http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/DSCN0396.JPG
http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/DSCN0397.JPG
http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/DSCN0398.JPG
http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/DSCN0399.JPG
http://www.carbon.eclipse.co.uk/DSCN0400.JPG

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer,
Jaime

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different