[ptx] aligning pictures over time

Daniel M. German dmgerman at uvic.ca
Wed Feb 8 08:52:51 GMT 2006

 Bruno> On Tue 07-Feb-2006 at 22:37 +0100, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:

 >> Sorry for the stupid title, but I couldn't think of anything
 >> better.  On June 24 2005, Bruno Postle posted about different
 >> pictures of the same scene taken at different times and aligned
 >> with Hugin (mail titled "aligning old and new photos with hugin").
 >> I have a few pictures which would be ideal for such a treatment. I
 >> have been using Hugin for assembling panos for some time now, but
 >> I can't think how this is done. Could someone give an explanation?

 Bruno> Sure, just make sure the photos are taken from the same position,
 Bruno> then align them with hugin as you would any other set of photos (use
 Bruno> autopano-sift, set horizontal and vertical points etc...)

 Bruno> You probably want to use one of the images as an anchor and optimise
 Bruno> the position, fov and lens for the other(s) (you may have to
 Bruno> optimise the fov and lens parameters for all images).

 Bruno> When you come to creating the output, select 'multiple tiff' - This
 Bruno> prevents the seam masks from being created.

 Bruno> The problem I found is finding the exact location, I recommend
 Bruno> taking lots of photos from slightly different positions and
 Bruno> selecting the best fit.

I saw a photo this year of a bridge (I don't remember the actual
photo, I think it was London). It was a compositing of many pictures
taken over the years from the same spot. It was very appealing,
interesting, and beautiful.

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/