[ptx] OSX Compiling

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Sat Apr 22 14:41:55 BST 2006

On 22 Apr 2006, at 07:05, JD Smith wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Daniel M. German wrote:
>

>>  JD Smith twisted the bytes to say:
>>
>>  JD> [...]
>>
>>  JD> So you see it basically copies over the Emacs.app pieces,
>> copies the
>>  JD> compiled executable into Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/, and then
>> uses the
>>  JD> apple tool "Rez" to build the Emacs.rsrc resource fork (which
>> goes in
>>  JD> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/).  These ".r" files from which
>> they are
>>  JD> compiled contain various bits of info, like icons, creator
>> code, etc.  I
>>  JD> don't know how to make these files... perhaps there is
>> another wxWidgets
>>  JD> program which has a native Mac build process which we could
>> crib from?
>>
>> I am going to start looking into it. Back in January I got as far as
>> being able to compile it without errors.  Hopefully tonight I can get
>> that far again.
>>
>> I guess the first problem to solve is to find a simple wxWin app that
>> has a make file that compiles from the command line. It should exist
>> somewhere ;)
>
> The most active one I know of is "Audacity", a free sound editing
> program based on wxWidgets.  It builds an Audacity.app package.
>
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_source
>

> JD

I've been referring Audacity's code for Mac specific features.
Audacity is rather Mac-centric in a way.
You can find much more UNIX-like examples of wxMac application too,
for instance Boinc and aMule use wx too. Also the wxWidgets samples
should compile right away. Making .app package from a compiled Mach-o
binary is rather a trivial task you can even do with Finder and a
text editor.

As to the .rsrc files, wxMac 2.5.2 or so removed the dependancy to
it; you don't need to worry anout it anymore. If you take a look at
what Xcode project does when it compiles hugin, you can see what
actually XCode does using command line tools.

Ippei

--
   My general MSN, AIM, and E-Mail: ippei_ukai at mac.com
   Homepage:  http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/