[ptx] hugin on OSX

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Fri Apr 21 21:02:24 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

It seems I missed a lot of messages about hugin on OSX in the past
week. I apologise not replying one by one, but here is the summary of
the status.

1. compilation of the libraries
  In many reasons, I've been compiling all the needed libraries from
the official copy by myself. (When I started working on universal
binary compilation, I found it is the easiest to have an independent
repository for those libraries separately from any of the other
system's.) All but boost compile finely with Apple's GCC 4.0.1 into
both normal PPC and universal PPC Intel combined now . There are some
hacks involved, and I hope my notes about them are in sync with CVS
(in hugin/mac/Notes/). I have made some fix today, so I will update
them later this week anyway (I have moved all the steps into the sh
scripts except the boost patch so far).

2. boost
  It doesn't compile. I've given up looong time ago. Until hugin 0.5
we only used its header, and only you had to do was to copy the
header files and comment out its gcc version check. Now with the CVS
version, you need at least boost-thread to be compiled. I just got
away with it compiling the relevant sources into vigra-impex.a itself
(just added boost-thread files into the XCode project's source list ;).

3. universal binary
  What I put on my web page is a blind copy; I have no access at all
to the Mactel environment. It was not as simple as clicking a box on
GUI to get the universal binary; you have to revise every dependancy
down to the bottom and cross compile all of them for two environments
caring endian problems (libpano12 needs patch). I have built a new
version today with wxWidgets-2.6.3. wxMac addressed some issues
towards their universal binary support. I hope it works better now.
Meanwhile, I do not expect the current PPC version to have any
problem running with Rosette; just slower than what your machine can
achieve though.

4. building process
  HuginOSX currently uses a XCode project which is maintained
separately from Makefiles etc. What Xcode does is just to keep the
information in a neater way (in terms of GUI) and use command line
tools to compile and bring the end product together. There is nothing
that stops doing the same with automake or whatever other unix tools.
Unfortunately, I have no time nor skills to do so. With respect to
releasing for the universal binary compiled against MacOS SDKs, it
would be harder to use anything below MacOSX 10.3.9 and gcc4.
However, it might help the development process if commandline
compilation can compile HuginOSX against the local system just like
in the other platforms. (At least saves me from updating the XCode
project file every time a new file is created on CVS.)

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.
Also, I can provide a copy of my working repository if you like to
skip compiling the required libraries by yourself.

Cheers,
Ippei

--
   My general MSN, AIM, and E-Mail: ippei_ukai at mac.com