[ptx] OSX Compiling

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon Apr 17 14:12:43 BST 2006

JD Smith wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Daniel M. German wrote:
>
>> It seems that the problem is some metadata/files that OS X needs to
>> run an executable that uses the Carbon user interface.  So you need to
>> use Xcode tools to generate them. From what I read once you have this
>> metadata you could compile command line, but I did not get that
>> far. I'll let Ippei elaborate on this issues.
>

> Thanks for the follow-up.
>
> From what I read, that's not entirely the case.  You can build full
> Carbon .apps using automake/autoconf/etc, entirely from the command
> line.  In fact, XCode is just a front end to a host of command line
> tools (like gcc), and you can have both build systems coexist at once
> (for the convenience of using XTools).  For some high-level (and not
> terribly useful info) on this:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/unix/crossplatform.html

I'd also really like to support the classical ./configure & make
approach under OSX, especially if building using XCode is not portable
across different system configuration.

However, since I have never used a mac, and I don't have access to one, I
don't know which steps are required to build an OSX package for hugin by
using the command line.

Help by OSX users with some limited amount of automake/autoconf knowledge
would be very welcome :-)

Thanks to Douglas Wilkins, hugin uses autoconf, and relies on pkg-config or
similar schemes, if supported by the libraries.
I believe that with some small changes it might be possible to build hugin
from the commandline, using make. Packaging it might be harder, but I don't
know anything about how classical OSX applications are installed.

>> I am back home and I have not tried (yet) to compile Hugin on my G5 (I
>> just got an Intel Mini, but I haven't even unpacked it). I am one of
>> those that would rather use the command line than the complex XCode
>> user interface.
>

> While I think it is great to include the XCode project, for the
> convenience of Mac coders out there, I think adopting the native  Hugin
> (/panotools/vigra/boost/enblend/...) build system would go a  long way
> to bringing mac users "into the fold" and making it easier  to roll new
> releases, etc.

I think not too many things are missing from the current autoconf system. I
believe it already can be used to build hugin using mingw under windows as well.

What are the missing steps in the current build scripts? How does it fail
when trying to build hugin on OSX?