[ptx] Re: Problems with autopano and HuginOSX

Mike Peel email at mikepeel.net
Wed Sep 7 22:38:05 BST 2005

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Hugin (I installed it yesterday), but I seem to
have gotten autopano working with it so I'll see if I can help.

I chose to use autopano-sift rather than autopano. The steps I
followed were:
1. Download and install Mono, available at http://www.mono-
project.com/Downloads - just download the .dmg, and follow the
instructions enclosed.
2. Download autopano-sift, available at http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/
~nowozin/autopano-sift/autopano-sift-2.3.tar.gz - open that (assuming
you have stuffit or similar installed), and then copy-and-paste the
contents of the "bin" directory into your applications folder (I put
it in the same folder as huginOSX, renaming "bin" to "autopano-sift",
but it doesn't really matter where it is).
3. This is the nasty step - you need to open autopano-complete.sh in
a text editor. Find the line in the file that starts AUTOPANO_PATH,
and put a # in front of it. Then, start a new line and put
"AUTOPANO_PATH=/Applications/HuginOSX/autopano-sift" on it (minus the
"). Then, edit the path to wherever you've put the bin folder, making
sure you don't have a trailing / on the end of it. Then, search for
every occurance of "generatekeys.exe" and replace it with
"generatekeys-sd.exe". Save, close.
4. If you've used the "PutAutopanoSiftToHuginOSX" application, then
you need to do this step. Control-click of the HuginOSX application,
and select "Show package contents". Then go to Contents/Resources/
and delete the autopano-sift folder. Then close the window.
5. Finally, open HuginOSX and go to the preferences, and put in the
address to the autopano-sift script (e.g. "/Applications/HuginOSX/
autopano-sift/autopano-complete.sh"). Click OK.

Having just typed all of that, I've remembered where I originally
found the instructions - in the HuginOSX zip I downloaded (from
http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/) there's a guide in the
tools/autopano-sift folder.

One thing to note: when you're using the "Create Ctrl Points" button
you will get an error message if there is a space in the path to the
images. So /path/to/image/image01.jpg will be fine, but "/path to
image/image01.jpg" will give you an error. Hopefully whoever codes
HuginOSX will see this, and bug-fix appropriately.

Let me know if you have any problems with this, or if the process
doesn't work for you.

Mike Peel
http://www.mikepeel.net/

Responding to:
Hi community,
I have a question regarding autopano an HuginOSX: Has anyone
succeeded in making autopano work with HuginOSX? I followed the
instructions bei Ippei but it didn´t work. Whwen trying to evoke
autopano within HuginOSX I always get an error message. Can anyone
who succeeded give me simple step by step instructions as I´m a total
Unix dummie. Thanks very much for your help
Wolfgang