[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Sat May 28 12:52:51 BST 2005

> From: Rob Park
> On 5/27/05, Sebastian Nowozin <nowozin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For most users it would be nicer to have some quality-profile, like
>> "fast (for preview)", "fair" and "maximum quality (slow)" which takes
>> care of those settings (and other related settings, for example in
>> autopano-sift (whether to enable refinement, downscale resolution,
>> etc.)
>> and enblend (number of levels)).
>
> This is making me giddy with excitement ;)
>
> What if we took my idea, and extracted all the hugin internals into
> external, standalone programs that took commandline switches and such.
> Then we could easily make a simple frontend GUI that could easily
> implement this "quality profiles" idea, and the profiles would store
> settings for all enblend, autopano-sift, nona, all at once. So you
> could say draft quality, and it would automatically choose to disable
> refinement in autopano-sift, choose a smaller number of levels in
> enblend, make the output to be scaled down a bit, use a faster/lower
> quality interpolator in nona, etc. You could do that while working on
> it, and then then when you're done, pick the "high quality" preset and
> have it do the highest quality interpolator, maximum resolution, TIFF
> output, lots of levels in enblend, etc etc etc. That'd be very, very
> nice.
>
> ;)
>
> --
> Urban Artography
> http://artography.ath.cx

Sounds interesting. I'd go for one of two options:

Option 1:
A switch between draft quality (fast), medium and best quality (slow),
then have a tab in the preferences for expert users to change the
settings for each level,

or

Option 2:
A switch between draft, medium, best and 'expert', where 'expert'
reverts to the current layout where you choose everything.

Ian Wood