[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Sat May 28 03:19:52 BST 2005

Hi Rob and the others,

Rob Park wrote:

>>The warping of the images (roll, pitch, yaw, lens distortion and projection
>>type) requires that an interpolation of the new pixel positions be done. The
>>interpolator type determines the speed and quality of this interpolation.
>>Take a look at
>>http://photocreations.ca/interpolator/
>>and it's associated link

> Sorry, I know (at a high level) what interpolation _is_ (from scaling
> images with GIMP), what I meant is that I'm not sure what effect
> changing it would actually have on the output.

I agree that this is quite confusing to most users.  Except you have an
indepth knowledge about interpolation and reconstruction filters, you
cannot tell what the actual difference between Sinc 256 and Sinc 1024 is
(besides, I cannot distinguish their results visually).  And if you do
happen to have that knowledge, you still wonder what kind of windowing
function is used.

For most users it would be nicer to have some quality-profile, like
"fast (for preview)", "fair" and "maximum quality (slow)" which takes
care of those settings (and other related settings, for example in
autopano-sift (whether to enable refinement, downscale resolution, etc.)
and enblend (number of levels)).

Regards,
Sebastian