[ptx] Re: thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 27 10:41:42 BST 2005

--- Carl von Einem <einem at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for posting all those screenshots. Makes it easier to get an idea
> how things are organized on different platforms than Mac.
>
> The GIMP's dialog indeed reminds me of the Mac look&feel in times of
> System 7: very clean and straightforward. Nice. The items shown in that
> dialog are clearly a copy of Photoshop (there the 'Cancel' button
> changes to 'Reset' when the option key is pressed, saves some space).
>
> Are you aware of Aqua's print dialog? I guess this is a very good
> example for how to group a whole lot of things to choose from which
> differ extremely depending on the chosen printer (can be also a PDF or
> PostScript file or even a Fax message). I can post a few screenshots if
> there is interest.

Not having a Mac, yes it would be great to get an idea of what you are talking
about.

> I did the layout and print files for several CD packages that had
> language versions in english, french, german, spanish, italian and
> portuguese. Text length is indeed an important issue: french buttons and
> headlines tend to use the most space whereas text masses (explanations,
> help texts) in german often need more space. Look at multilingual
> 'System Requirements' to get an idea.

I know that we had (and may still have - I need to check) issues with french
translations of the text on buttons. They were probably double the length of
the english text.

> ps.
> the Venice meeting in August might be a very good place to discuss user
> interfaces.

I wish I could be there, but it may be difficult with the other things
happening in my life :-(

regards,
Doug