[ptx] HuginOSX goes beta

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Wed May 18 22:48:35 BST 2005

Hi everyone,

Last couple of days I worked on HuginOSX, and managed to make it good
enough to be tested towards the release. In main stream, hugin's
recent rapid development has reached the first release candidate this
week. I'm hoping to catch up with them so that I can release Mac port
at the same point as other environments.

http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/

Apart from many improvements common to hugin on Linux and windows,
this Mac release includes following Mac-specific improvements:
- HuginOSX now responds to file opening AppleEvent so that double
clicking a project file on Finder actually opens the project.
- All the external executables now can be nested inside the
application bundle. Since enblend and autopano-sift are not part of
hugin and panoramatools, they are not included in the bundle by
default. Please use the attached applescript to put those programs
in, of course upon agreeing their license. You do not need to do this
if you use them from other applications. If you use those tools only
inside HuginOSX, all you need become one .app package after copying
the external programs in, which you can put in your Applications
folder:)
- Executing enblend and autopano-sift now displays the progress on a
window. You still cannot stop them, but at least better than nothing.
- Any chooser items that switches the stitcher to PTStitcher are now
"bouncy" (I couldn't disable them, so made them refuse to stay chosen).
- About and Preferences are now also in the application menu :)
- Things inside the Help menu are now also correctly internationalised.
- Still optimised for G4, but put the minimum CPU back to G3. It
didn't change the speed much after all.

Notes for Mac users:
- Mac specific source files are now also on main CVS.
- PanoGLViewerOSX is cool and very fast:)
- enblend has got faster with gcc4.
- Mono framework 1.1.7 is released which is said to bring major speed
improvement in IO. Recommended for all autopano-sift users.
- If you are looking for commercial software, PTMac does almost the
same thing as hugin.

Thing left to be done for Mac (except the first one, probably for 0.7):
- Control Point panel's tabs becomes too long with large number of
images; I will probably change it to choosers instead.
- Executing external tools needs a terminate (cancel) button.
- Window management should become like iMovie and GarageBand that do
not quit with close box and displays a panel with [quit, new, open]
buttons on it when no project is open.

Thank you for your support,
Ippei

--