[ptx] help gentoo amd64 problems

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Mar 29 22:36:31 BST 2005

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 11:06 am, Bruno Postle wrote:
> On Mon 28-Mar-2005 at 19:01 -0800, Hal V Engel wrote:
> > I have tried installing libpano12 from both the ebuild in the
> > Gentoo portage tree and the ebuild located on bugs.gentoo.org
> > located here
> > http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=47434&action=view
> >
> > Stitching failed
> > PTStitcher exited with nonzero error code.
>
> Do you actually have a PTStitcher binary in your path?

It is in /usr/bin which is in the path.  I tried running it from the command
line and it complains about not being able to open libpano12.so
with a "No such file or directory" error.  But libpano12.so is located
in /usr/lib.

I PTStitcher this using panorama-tools-nonfree-2.7a.ebuild that I found on
bugs.gentoo.org.  I just looked at the the ebuild and it looks like it
installed 32 bit binaries so it wants a 32 bit libpano12.so and does not work
with the 64 bit version I have installed.  I should have checked the ebuild
to see what it was doing and I would have known that it would not work.  I
wonder if installing a 32 version of libpano12 in /usr/lib32 would work?

The optimizer works in Hugin so this must only need libpano12 and not
PTOptimizer.

> PTStitcher was never distributed with sourcecode, and the ebuild
> doesn't provide the binary since it only installs the libpano12
> package from sourceforge.  You should use the nona stitcher (part of
> the hugin package) instead.

Nona works but is less powerful than PTStitcher.  In particular I wanted
to be able to have PTStitcher to handle color and exposure correction which
Nona does not do. Enblend is also working fine but I have not been able to get
autopano-sift to compile.

I have done more testing and Hugin 0.5 beta 3 is working OK.  Only a few minor
problems with some things that will crash it.