[ptx] GUI Cross Platform Development

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:08:05 GMT 2005

Yili Zhao wrote:

>>I really regret the switch to wxWindows.

> For GUI cross platform development, I know there are
> o QT
> o GTK/GTK+
> o wxWidgets
> o FLTK
> o others libraries
> What are the advantages and disadvantages of there libraries? And if can select again, which one is suitable?

A good solution for rapid cross platform GUI's is Gtk#
(http://gtk-sharp.sf.net/).  It has matured quite a bit (you remember
the first autopano-sift Gtk# GUI's being horrible to get to work in
Windows?) in the last few month and easy to use installers are available
for Windows, and most Linux distributions ship it.

Now, one way how one could wire a Gtk# based GUI to the hugin backend
would be SWIG (Simple Wrapper and Interface Generator,
http://www.swig.org/), which builds quite good C# classes from C++ code.
  Big C++ libraries such as VTK (www.vtk.org) and ITK (www.itk.org) use
it to build excellent OO wrappers for many languages from C++ code (some
is heavily templated).

Anyway, I understand some people are reluctant to consider C# as a
development language on Linux, but I think its a really great thing as
Mono matured quickly in the last year (www.go-mono.com) and is really
quite robust and perfectly usable (for GUI frontend work) by now.

I do not know a lot about GUI development at all, but for me I am more
interested in spending my time on cool algorithms than messing with GUI
code, and I think Gtk# with C# is a nice combo for that, while still
being cross platform.

> Best Regards,
> Yili Zhao

bye,