[ptx] Hugin crashes just after startup

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Wed Mar 2 20:35:57 GMT 2005

Edouard Gomez schrieb:
> Ok it's now more than 2 weeks that i try to upgrade my panoramic
> toolchain and i can't get it working at all on my SID box. First
> it was some kind of obscure interaction of debian gcc with panorama.h
> file used in hugin, but even with that problem resolved, i can't get
> hugin starting.
>
> The thing that most annoy me, as a developper, is that i can't get
> anything from gdb/insight, because when i try to debug then hugin just
> forks so many childs at startup and strangely, gdb detaches from all
> processes and i can't see where it segfaults, i get absolutly no line
> number.

This is another strange thing that happens when wxwindows starts.

I remember that it was possible to use fg after gdb "detachs" to get
back to gdb and continue debugging.

I don't understand why, and once I tried to find out why this happens,
I stumbled up that has something to do with reading mime types.

I myself use debian unstable and I'm not experiencing the segfault you
describe. Maybe its problems with gcc 3.4 and the hugin code? Or
inconsistend library builds? Or maybe due to wxWidgets 2.5.4?

As a side note:

If I would have known all the trouble and big and little problems and
annoyances that wxWindows comes with I have not used it at all. I was
reluctant to convert the first hugin prototype from QT to wxWindows, as
some people on this list remember, but I thought the cross platform
support was better (I couldn't build hugin on windows with QT at that
time, because it requires a Microsoft compiler...).

Hmmmm. Now, QT works reliably on linux, windows and MacOS...

I really regret the switch to wxWindows.