[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Fri Jun 3 17:09:54 BST 2005

Here are my thoughts on the current hugin user interface:

1. The "Images" and "Camera and Lens" tabs are the wrong way around.

The camera attributes (type, a, b, c, fov etc..) are independent of
anything else, in principle they can be known immediately after
first loading the images - So they should be in the first tab where
the images are loaded.

Whereas the roll, pitch and yaw for the photos is generally not
known until after optimisation - This information isn't interesting
when you start a project and should be on a later tab.

The "feature matching (autopano)" box on the first tab is unrelated
to everything else, shouldn't it be on the "control points" tab?

2. There are settings on the last "stitcher" tab that are not really
related to stitching and are more related to to the project itself.

The output type (and to some extent the "field of view") is critical
to the optimisation step and often needs to be adjusted early on.

I'd like an additional "panorama" tab that contained the following:

- Pull down menu to set the panorama type.

- A small preview similar to the existing preview popup.

- "Fit" button to adjust the field of view.

- field of view boxes to set this manually.

- "centre horizontally" button (same as in the preview).

- "centre vertically" button.

- I'd quite like an interactive tool to manually pan, roll and zoom
  everything.  I currently do this by guessing values for the anchor
  image which is awkward at best.

- The panodruid stuff from the old preview can go here.

So the preview would lose the druid and "center" and "fit" buttons
and become a simple viewer for checking micro alignment.

The "Stitcher" tab would lose the panorama type selector and the
"field of view" boxes, and only show stuff related to rendering and
post-processing.

--
Bruno