New XRC files for Stitcher Panel (Was: Re: [ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5)

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Thu Jun 2 13:24:17 BST 2005

On 2 Jun 2005, at 12:36, douglas wilkins wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> --- Carl von Einem <carl at einem.net> wrote:
>

>> From: douglas wilkins <dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk>
>>

>>> Latest CVS replaces the "default" family with "swiss" as default
>>> looked
>>> absolutely awful on windows too. :-)
>>> On windows "default" maps to the fixed width console font, while
>>> "swiss"
>>> maps
>>> to  the GUI default sans serif font. How does it look with swiss
>>> on the
>>> mac?
>>>

>> Swiss = Helvetica
>> (Arial should be named here, too)
>>

> That is the problem. The xrc doesn't allow you to specify an exact
> font. The
> options are:
> default
> decoratve
> modern
> roman
> script
> swiss
> teletype
>
> these are then mapped internally (and hard coded) to the platform
> specific font
> Not having a mac, I'm not sure what each of these map to on OSX.

Apparently Swiss maps to Lucida Grande, the System Font, on Mac :)
It seems System Font = Swiss and Application Font = default.

>>> I prefer grouping with separators.
>>> wxMac seems not handling font style very well (it's not displayed
>>> with system font if you specify a font, even with "default" family).
>>>

>> Latest CVS replaces the "default" family with "swiss" as default
>> looked
>> absolutely awful on windows too. :-)
>> On windows "default" maps to the fixed width console font, while
>> "swiss" maps
>> to  the GUI default sans serif font. How does it look with swiss
>> on the mac?
>>

>>> I'd rather go for putting separators with static text label without
>>> any specific font.
>>>

>> If you don't put a <family> tag in the xrc style definition, it
>> defaults to
>> "default" :-)
>>

>>> By the way, small font inserted between widgets
>>> does not look very well. They are like side notes rather than titles
>>> of each section.
>>>

>> Small fonts? what do you suggest the size should be? It is
>> currently set to 10.

System Bold Font is the one should be used here, that is Lucida
Grande 13 Bold.
Also the label should be aligned with the widgets. See the figures in
the HI Guidelines.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/
OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGLayout/chapter_19_section_4.html

If this does not fit with other platforms, then as I said, using
separator may be the way since it uses the normal label for which we
do not need worry about fonts. Also, I thought system font size can
be changed on most Unix GUI managers. Is it ok to fix the font size?

>>> I would agree 100% if it were not for the redraw bug. I am a firm
>>> believer in
>>> making _only_ bug fixes and _only_ the minimum change required when
>>> any
>>> software approaches a milestone release. It is the only way to
>>> acheive
>>> stabilty. After the milestone release, new features should be put
>>> in as soon as
>>> possible to allow maximum time to stabilize any issues.
>>>

>> If you are just fixing the bug, why does Stitcher panel have totally
>> new looking?
>>

> Because I couldn't resist fixing it so that the rule of "changes
> made later in
> the dialog should not affect options earlier" was followed. I'm
> guilty of
> breaking my own rule :-/
> Should I change it back?

Let's put the layout back and finish the new style first. If we are
improving the grouping and labelling, we should do it altogether with
all the other tabs.

Cheers,
Ippei

--