[ptx] HFOV, focal distance...

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Wed Jun 1 22:39:30 BST 2005

manouchk schrieb:
> Le Lundi 30 Mai 2005 08:55, Emmanuel a écrit :
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'd like to know if providing a good value of the HFOV is sufficient to do
>>a good stitching in hugin or if it is needed to adjust well the focal
>>length and cropping ?
>

> As noone seems to know the answer of my previous question, I ask my question
> in another way, what is the cropping factor?

The difference of the 35 mm film diagonal (~43.5 mm) divided by the real
sensor diagonal.

But this is only needed if you want to input the focal length and not
the hfov directly.
Leave the crop factor at 1, if you use the 35 mm film equivalent focal
length (usually in the range of 35-90, or so).

> I have other questions is it possible to optimize HFOV in a 360° pano in
> hugin? If yes how?

I guess you mean the HFOV of the input images.
Sure, by selecting an optimisation mode where the HFOV is optimized, for
example "y,p,r and v", or with the custom settings.

> The HFOV of my camera (of poor guy) is a olympus C40 zoom if anyone can help
> me for HFOV, cropping etc..?

According to some info on the internet, the C40 has an equivalent focal
length of 35-98 mm.

just enter 1 as the crop factor and 35 for the focal length, if your
images where taken without zoom, and 98 mm if they where taken with zoom.

> Ultimate questions
>
> Is it possible to shoot a pano using photo taken the one in "landscape"
> orientation (for sky) and the other in "portrait" orientation ? I tried and
> optimizing didn't worked?

It should work, if the landscape and portrait images use their own
"lens" (as indicated in the lens tab).