[ptx] autopano-sift 2.2: match refinement

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 10:04:46 GMT 2005

Hi Rob,

I like the screenshot, and the problem you point out is of course true.
  As the GUI and the possible options increased with every release, I
did not spend too much thought and happily added the option fields.

However, while your solution is an improvement, the underlying problem
is not solved: there are too many options visible and most of them will
remain unchanged.  I know most people using my program are powerusers
who know how to set things right, but I cannot expect anyone to really
read up the manual what this single option does and what it doesn't.

So, I think a better solution would be to group options together, much
like it already is with the Gtk.Frames and then group them by options
which are really necessary to set everytime and those that are only
occasionally used.  A tab-based approach or some other grouping which
really removes them from the users screen and attention is better in the
long run.  Who knows what options will be added in the next release, and
it would tidy things up.

Unfortunately I really do not have time right now, as I am writing my
master thesis.  As long as all the names and signals stay the same
(which is the case if you only use cut + paste), you can change the GUI
any way you like using Glade2, the GUI builder:

glade-2 autopanog.glade

(Edit + save, then recompile).

I hope this helps,
greetings,