[ptx] autopano-sift 2.2: match refinement

Rob Park rbpark at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:27:56 GMT 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:59:36 +0100, Sebastian Nowozin
<nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> However, I have not gotten around to include the feature into the Windows GUI,
> sorry (if somebody wants to help with that, patches are welcome).  The
> refinement is only available on the command line and from the Gtk# GUI.

Hi Sebastian!

It's good to see you're making so much progress with autopano, but I
have one suggestion... I noticed that this new version of autopano
takes up nearly my entire screen vertically, but leaves some empty
space horizontally... I didn't worry about it at first but then I
remembered that my screen is actually 1400x1050, and that people
running at the more common resolution of 1024x768 must be experiencing
autopano-sift GUI fall off the bottom of their screens!

Anyway, since most screens are typically wider than they are tall (4:3
ratio and all), it would make more sense to utilize a two-column
layout for autopano-sift, so that way it can take advantage of wide
screens and be more efficient with the vertical real estate.

I put together a quick mockup of what autopano-sift could look like:

http://rbpark.ath.cx/autopano-sift-mockup.png

I'm not married to the positioning of the boxes, this is just to show
the UI in two columns instead of one big one. What does everybody
think? (also, please don't comment on my choice of GTK theme, that
part is irrelevant. the mockup is to show the layout of the GUI)

Although I do have a bit of programming skill, I haven't done any work
in mono or GTK at all, so I'm not able to submit patches to achieve
this layout. If this idea is popular, I might attempt to learn
mono/GTK in order to make these changes for you if you're unable or
too busy.

Thanks.

--
One Guy With A Camera