[ptx] suggestions for stitching aerial photos

Rob Park rbpark at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 23:20:05 GMT 2005

Hi everybody,

I recently discovered this website:

http://airphotos.nrcan.gc.ca/photos101/edmonton_e.php

Which contains aerial photos of my city from 1924 and 1950. Naturally,
I decided to stitch them together, and I came up with this:

http://rbpark.ath.cx/panos/1950.jpg
http://rbpark.ath.cx/panos/1924.jpg

Now, this was my first time stitching images that weren't produced by
my own camera, and didn't have EXIF data. I wasn't sure what value to
put in for the FOV, but I noticed that I got less distortion as I
decreased the value. The panoramas above were produced by setting the
FOV to 2 degrees. It came out pretty good, but there are still some
stitch lines. Does anybody have any tips for how to guess unknown lens
values?

--
One Guy With A Camera
http://rbpark.ath.cx