[ptx] hugin dependancies & sources for panorama-tools-nonfree

David Grant david.grant at telus.net
Wed Jan 5 23:03:59 GMT 2005

Edouard Gomez wrote:

>David Grant (david.grant at telus.net) wrote:
>

>>I was kind of thinking, but couldn't put that all together and explain
>>it like you did.
>>So had he ever leaked out some source, then he would be screwed, and
>>that source would be GPL. But as it stands he never relased any to begin
>>with, for the non libpano12 stuff, so, he's free to do as he pleases and
>>change the license. As long as he didn't use any GPL stuff written by
>>other people within his code, that is.
>>

>The  GPL  isn't  about  licensing  sources only,  it's  about  licensing
>software. If a software is GPL licensed then users who got a copy of the
>software are  in right to  ask for the  sources to the  distributor. The
>distributor  is to  provide (freely  of for  a fee)  the sources  of the
>compiled program.  That's the way the  GPL works, and the  fact he never
>released  sources is  not an  argument that  could help  him  hiding the
>sources  forever,  he's  bound  by   the  GPL  to  give  access  to  the
>sources...
>
>So  in conclusion,  everyone who  downloaded the  version  from original
>author is in right to ask for sources. Up to the original author to give
>the source for free or for a fee (the media cost), but the GPL is clear,
>sources must be available.
>
>See:
>Section 3:
>[...]
>    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
>    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
>    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
>    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
>    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
>    customarily used for software interchange; or,

Again, I want to bring up the ambiguity in the way Helmut distributed
his sources for libpano12 and the binaries for the PT* programs. He
included the GPL-2 in his zip file and tarball but didn't say what was
licensed under GPL. On his old website mirror there is no mention of the
GPL. Only a mention of "something" being free and open source. He was
probably referring to libpano12.

Anyway, good riddance, libpano12 is GPL, thanks to Helmut for that, and
nona works great!

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81