[ptx] hugin dependancies & sources for panorama-tools-nonfree

David Grant david.grant at telus.net
Wed Jan 5 21:31:42 GMT 2005

JD Smith wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 11:40 -0800, David Grant wrote:
>

>>Carsten Schurig wrote:

>>>Well, at least for future releases: yes. But for already released
>>>versions? I don't know...
>>>

>>Well, I looked at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html and one
>>thing listed which is questionable for Helmut's panotools is that he
>>doesn't clearly say which software is convered by the LIcense. He may be
>>saved by his ambiguity.
>>
>>At his old site, http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/ (mirror), he
>>says that "Panorama Tools" and "PTStitcher" are free and open source
>>software, but there is no mention of GPL there. And he says PTStitcher
>>but not anything else called PT*.
>>

>I think, since he is the original copyright holder, it is his
>prerogative to change the license at will, even if he had stated they
>were GPL'd.  Since he never distributed the source, he could easily just
>say: "I changed my mind, this is now licensed with a freeware-like
>license".
>
>Had he distributed it under the GPL, he could not stop others from
>improving and distributing the source, but since he didn't, I think he's
>pretty much free to do what he pleases.  Another way of saying this is
>you can't be in violation of your own license, if you are the copyright
>holder on the complete work.  You could even make some improvements and
>take it closed source, or offer dual licensing (but of course the
>previous GPL'd version could not be retracted, had it been released).

I was kind of thinking, but couldn't put that all together and explain
it like you did.
So had he ever leaked out some source, then he would be screwed, and
that source would be GPL. But as it stands he never relased any to begin
with, for the non libpano12 stuff, so, he's free to do as he pleases and
change the license. As long as he didn't use any GPL stuff written by
other people within his code, that is.

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81