[ptx] using hugin to stitch large scans

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Mon Feb 21 21:04:27 GMT 2005

On Mon 21-Feb-2005 at 10:34 -0500, Marek Januszewski wrote:

> I have a large map I would like to stitch from 4 A4 scans with
> minimum of work. Autopano will find the same points without a
> problem, but what's next? should I setup some very large FOV? Did
> anyone do this before?

This should be a tutorial since hugin is very good for this.

- Set output format to rectilinear.

- Input FOV doesn't matter, set it to 50 degrees if you like.

- Make sure all pitch(p), yaw(y), a, b & c parameters are zero.

- You need to optimise roll(r), fov(v), d & e for all images except
  the anchor, so you need to uncheck 'inherit' for these parameters
  in the 'camera and lens' tab.  You also need to use 'custom
  parameters' in the 'optimize' tab.

I'm not sure why the field of view(v) needs to be optimised, but it
does - Perhaps somebody can explain this?

That's it, you can get very high quality results with this
technique.  Other things you might want to experiment with are:

- Image shearing - g & t parameters.

- Horizontal and vertical control points to get the overall rotation
  right.

The same method can be used to stitch photos of a surface taken from
different viewpoints and distances (such as the History of Mexico
Diego Rivera mural posted here last week).

--
Bruno