[ptx] hugin woes (help please!)

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Fri Dec 30 23:31:28 GMT 2005

On Fri 30-Dec-2005 at 14:05 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> I just got back from a trip where I took alot of pictures of
> landscapes, and I'd like to stitch some of the pictures together
> to get the true landscape effect.  hugin works great if I attempt
> to stitch any two pictures together.
>
> However, if I try to stitch more than two pictures at a time (3 or
> more, and ideally between 6 and 9) I run into two problems:

> 1) if I set te panorama projection as 'rectilnear' as soon as i
> click 'Stitch' I get a popup error:

'Rectilinear' is a projection onto a plane, so it has a theoretical
maximum 'field of view' angle of 180 degrees.  Though in practice,
150 degrees is about as wide as you can go.

This means that 'rectilinear' isn't a suitable format for immersive
panoramas, you need to use 'cylindrical' or 'equirectangular'.

> 2) If I go with 'equirectangular' instead, then I end up with a
> badly deformed image that looks like this:
> http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/new0.jpg

This looks to me like the field of view of the source photos is
overestimated, perhaps by as much as 50%.  Hugin tries to calculate
the field of view based on camera metadata, but doesn't always get
it right.

Try optimising "positions and view (y,p,r,v)" or even "positions
view and barrel (y,p,r,v,b)".  The default is "positions" only and
assumes that the lens parameters are already correct.

--
Bruno