[ptx] gimp/krita help in removing artifacts

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Wed Dec 28 01:17:35 GMT 2005

On Wed 14-Dec-2005 at 17:27 -0500, Michael Galloway wrote:

> this is a bit off topic perhaps, but i could use a bit of help
> with gimp/krita in managing layer masks to mask out stitching
> inconsistancies. i was working thru this tutorial:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/pttute.htm

Not off-topic at all, this should be a hugin tutorial since it isn't
very well documented...

You can control the position of seams by masking out areas you don't
want with an 'alpha channel'.

There are two ways of doing this; modify the original photos before
nona before running enblend manually.  I find the first technique is
simpler.

Either way, you need to save as a file format that supports alpha
channels such as PNG or TIFF (JPEG is no good here).  Note that all
the files in a project need to be the same format - If you mix PNG
images with alpha channels and JPEG photos, nona fails silently and
produces no output.

To create an alpha channel in the gimp, select Layer -> Transparency
-> Add Alpha Channel.  Mask out the areas that you don't want with
the 'eraser' tool or select and delete with the 'lasso'.
Erased/transparent areas are shown with a grey 'checkerboard'
pattern.

That's it, other than that you can just follow John Houghton's
tutorial for PTGui.

--
Bruno