[ptx] Getting EXIF data from coolpix 950 jpgs using hugin

Thomas Steiner e9826064 at stud4.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 8 01:24:45 GMT 2005

>> The crop factor of my Canon EOS 350D should be exactly 1.6, but hugin
>> overestimates (some percents) it a bit (and missestimates the facal
>> lenths then
>> as well). Why?
> How did you arrive at 1.6?

I read it at dpreview.

> The caculation goes like this:

Okay, I see. Sure, you know better then me. Thanks.

> cropf = d35mmfilm /d = 1.6222  % crop factor

Why do I have to use "sensor width (active pixels)" and not just the
diagonal of
the 22.2 x 14.8 mm sensor? (cf=1.621622)

>> What can i do against this?
> Nothing.

And this is good because this just gives me the "right" crop factor?

> I guess the focal length reported by the lens actually contain a
> higher error.

Definitely. My telezoom just sets it in steps of 5mm... :((

> One really has to optimize the hfov (v parameter), because the exif data will
> never be 100% right.

Okay thank you!

BTW (Off topic): The icon of "optimize" is not really reminding (me) of
"optimize". Unfortunately I don't have any better ideas - but perhaps someone
on the list has...

Thomas