[ptx] computer hardware suggestions

Brian Innes brianinnes81 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 21:16:56 BST 2005

michael crane wrote:

> Brian Innes wrote:
>
>> I've had quite good results with an AMD64 3000+ with 1GB ram running
>> 64bit Ubuntu Linux.  However I really could do with an extra gb of ram.
>

> what's the deal with ubuntu I have heard it mentioned quite a bit.?
> I've used most versions of linux in the past but like the new thing
> where stuff works with apt yum and the like. Are there any particular
> flavours that the developers favour that are easier to install ?
>
> regards
>

> mick

Ubuntu is a debian distro.  But very very easy to install. One cd, boot
from it, go through the easy to use dialogues, job done!

To install software, you use the included "Synaptic" program, which is a
nice front end to apt-get. You simply search for what you are wanting to
install, and Synaptic tells you what dependencies you need, and installs
them if required.

Only slight problem with running 64bit linux is not all the software
repositories have 64bit versions of the programs (like mono etc for
Autopano-sift). However the odd program which isn't available are easy
enough to compile from source.

Of course, Ubuntu (or any binary based distro) isn't anywhere near as
optimised as sourcebased distros like Gentoo, however spending months
compiling everything from source just to gain a few milliseconds isn't
my cup of tea!

Anyway, I'd recommend Ubuntu.

--
Brian