[ptx] visible seams in a panaorama

Rik Littlefield rj.littlefield at computer.org
Tue Aug 16 16:40:54 BST 2005

>>For example in img_03.jpg, Photoshop reports that the upper left
>>

>corner
>

>>has brightness 69%, the upper center has increased to brightness 80%,
>>and the upper right is again decreased to 67%.
>>

>How do you check this exactly and how could I remove vignetting from
>pictures? (GIMP?)

I don't use GIMP very much and don't have a clue how to do it there.
Perhaps others can answer.

In Photoshop, to determine the brightness, just look in the "Info" panel
while running a cursor over the image.  The Info panel is a tab in a
small dialog window along with Navigator and Histogram.  It can be made
visible by menu entry Window | Info.  It can be set to show continuously
any of several descriptions of the pixel under the cursor, including
RGB, HSB, CMYK, etc.  I just reported the "B" value in HSB.

To remove the vignetting, I used Thomas Niemann's PTLens plugin for
Photoshop, with settings "amount=16, midpoint=0", those values
determined by repeated trials, checking the result as described above
and by looking at the result of a PTGui/enblend stitch.  I presume that
the earlier Panorama Tools plugin Correct could do the same job, but
PTLens has a good preview that saves some work.  One frame, img_01 was
also brighter than the others and required some level adjustment to match.

>>See http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/20050816/20050816a.html for
>>

>examples.
>
>Your pictures are linked to local files on your harddrive, we can't
>access them ;)

Fixed...thanks for letting me know.  Netscape Composer strikes again --
its drag-and-drop always defaults to absolute path, not relative, and I
forgot to hit the checkbox to force it relative.

--Rik