[ptx] Does enblend impairs quality?

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Thu Sep 23 12:59:44 BST 2004

Hello all,

I'm sure some of you know what kind of mathematics are really going on
here and how the impact on image quality is.
I do not, so I did a practical test to find out - maybe some of you are
interested?!

I stitched a small multirow (6 3MP images, 2x3) with hugin.
#1 with nona only
#2 with nona and enblend afterwards
In both cases I used the standard interpolation (poly3), native output
size (like hugin calculates) and Tiff format. (Maybe I should use a
better interpolation like sync1024, but I was interested to see how it
impacts 'my' usual process.)
>From each panorama I took 2 small crops, saved them as jpg (98%
compression). The original Tiff crops are available as well.

I recognized from other work with enblend, that 'enblended' panos are
very sensitive against sharpening. So I sized both complete panoramas
down and sharpened them with the same values (done with fixfoto, does
something like the 'unsharp-mask-method') and saved them as jpg with a
compression of 98%. This is nearby my usual workflow for panos, I put on
my webpage.

Maybe some of you are interested:
http://www.panoclub.de/gallery/enblend_quality
I would be happy about some feedback or about your experiences on enblend
quality.

best, mike