[ptx] Software Overview Requested

Emmanuel emmanuel at favre-nicolin.net
Wed Sep 22 01:16:34 BST 2004

Le mercredi 22 Septembre 2004 01:07, Steve Schacht a écrit :
> I've been monitoring this list for a little while to try to get some
> idea of what's entailed in creating panoramas.  Unfortunately, there
> are gaps in my knowledge due to the numerous software programs
> discussed (or simply mentioned) on this list.  There's only so much
> I've been able to glean from the context.  Thus, I'm hoping someone can
> help educate me by providing a brief description of what some of the
> software does (or pointing me to a FAQ or something).  Following are
> descriptions based upon my current understanding:

I can tell you my understanding (whch not ultimate!)

> Panorama Tools - A library of software routines developed my Helmut
> Dersche for manipulating and transforming images to and from different
> projections/perspectives.  Also included is PTStitcher, a program for
> stitching transformed images together into a panorama.

Panorama tools : it allows to stich (and correct standart lens impefections
of)  images taken from one pont in different direction so that from one image
you will have a bigger one... (you need to help it providing some simila
points on different images)
PTstitcher is a front-end of panotools

> Hugin - An open source GUI for Panorma Tools.  Serves the same basic
> purpose as PTGui.

hugin was at the beginning similar to ptsticher but now it includes other
things, integration of autopano and enblend and contain also nona which is
aimed to replace panotools.

> Autopano - A program for automatically locating control points in a
> series of images to be stitched into a single panorama.

yes and if you have aken three panoramas it should find and seaparate your
photo into 3 diffrent project.

> Autopano-sift - I'm not sure what this is or how it differs from
> autopano.  Is this just a GUI for autopano?  Help appreciated.

another implmentation of autpano but in C#

> Mono - I have no idea what this program is/does.  As far as I know,r
> it's a lake in California.   :-/

it's an open source development platform...

> Enblend - A program which uses a different (better?) algorithm for
> stitching images together into a panorama.  Basically, it's an
> alternative to PTStitcher.  (As far as I know, enblend can't stitch
> 16-bit images yet.)

no, it's helpfull when you have already fix poitions of the diffrent images of
your panorama but that you want to get rid of vignetting problem that does
sometimes let dark lines near the edges of each photos...

> Nona - Yet another stitcher program.  That's all I know about it.   :-(

aimed to replace panotools

> If anyone can provide additional information to help clarify things,
> I'd appreciate it.  Mentioning which platform the various software
> programs work on would be helpful as well.  Again, if there's a FAQ
> with all the answers, please point me to it.

I think they all work on linux (as though I've never run autopano-sift because
it seems difficult to me because I'm very new to mono things...), on windows
(I don't know for enblend?). For macos X, I don't know but some dev people
are working on it in order to make it easier for standart level people..