[ptx] Some Hugin enhancement requests

Pablo dAngelo Pablo.dAngelo at web.de
Thu Sep 16 12:06:57 BST 2004

Hi Mike,

> Hello Pablo, hello all,
>
> I collected some enhancements to hugin, which I would find very useful,
> please comment:

Overall, my main goal is a stable hugin version that can be release as 0.5.

I will have to reduce the time I spend on programming hugin dramatically over the next few months. Given that I won't like to add a lot of new features (that will probably introduce new bugs) right now, but stabilized and remove the last few bigger errors (crashes etc.).

The only really new feature that I hope to get into, is the perspective corrected magnified
display of control points. Other features have to wait.

> - there is no field in the stitcher tab to specify a feather width for
> nona,

simply because there is no code in nona anymore that produces feathered blending. :)

>  even nona is using the default value of 10.
> For my understanding feathering is unnessesairy while using enblend. And
> it's disturbing while trying to stitch cube faces using nona.

Please show me where you have seen the feathering in the nona output...

> - Ignore/select individual images for some actions:
>    - for optimisation (to ignore/select controlpoints belonging to
> specific images)
>    - for stitching    (to select/ignore sets of images for stitching, eg.
> for faster checking of individual areas)
> That would allow more flexible optimisations and partial stitching. Could
> maybe implemented as checkboxes in front of each row in optimisation tab
> and ONE additional checkbox "stitch only images selected for
> optimisation" in the stitcher tab. I would really appriciate to have
> that.

Hmm, maybe, but don't count on it.

> - Multiple select functionality (using shift and control keys) in
> Optimisation tab.
> =================
> I would really like to have that!

Hmm, some wrestling with the ugly internals of wxWindows.... hmm, low priority.
actually the whole thing needs to be replaced, because there is no checkbox list available on the mac version of wxWindows... but no time for that now.

> - A kind of weight mechanismn for optimisation to support difficult
> optimisation problems (need to explain that, it's simpler, than it
> sounds):

Hmm, never tried or needed that so far. I think.. well. maybe a duplicate button in the next version, after 0.5

> - extended functionality for preview
> ====================================
> - make it easier to find out, what image# corresponds a specific  part of
> the preview.
> It's often easy to see, that two images are not matching very good, but
> it can be hard to find out that these images are image#24 and #33.
> Ideally I would like to click directly into the preview to switch between
> show/hide - that would also change the appereance of the corresponding
> hide/show button in the top line. Maybe that is very difficult to
> implement, but any other method to simplify detection of visible
> mismatches (watermark with number in the images?!) would be appriciated.

definately post 0.5.

> - provide some kind of zoom/scale functionality
> The preview is very good and fast now. But while working with multirows
> or very large panos it suffers from the fixed scale and large empty
> regions. In my case, I often do multirows with the lowest row at pitch=0
> and 2 or 3 rows above. In that case, nearly the half of the preview
> screen is black and therefore the preview is too small to be really
> usefull. Could we have a modifiable preview scale (and scrollbars) or
> zoom functionality or so? BTW_ The panodruid is wasting some space here
> as well. I like the idea of the druid, but I would more like to see him
> in a standalone window, eg. by pressing a button "check pano" or so.

it can be disabled by editing the registry/config file. maybe I'll move it to a separate window before 0.5

> - new image format 'enblended Tiff' for nona.
> We had the question "How to use enblend within hugin" several times in
> the list. so it looks like, that it's not very intuitiv to select that
> method. That would obsolete the 'Soft Blending' checkbox and would be
> more intutiv (hopefully).

I had hoped that the people would just choose "high quality tiff" stitcher preset
and everything is fine.

> - additional field 'converter multiplier' in 'Design Parameters' in
> 'camera
> and lens' tab.
> Even if we have import/export for lens parameter files, can we have an
> additional multiplier (default=1)?

Hmm, I've to add some more fields to the lens parameter files. However, I guess the values one enters there won't be very perfect.
Its much better to calibrate the lens once, save the values, and use them later on.
I'm not sure if that additional crop factor is really needed.

> Ok, that are my wishes/suggestions. I hope, that you will find some of
> them usefull and hopefully they are possible to implement.

Well they all could be implemented, I just don't have the time to do it...

Sorry, but I really have to cut down the time I spend on hugin. Its just a bad time for new feature requests.