[ptx] Re: hugin snapshot

spec at webtech.pl spec at webtech.pl
Wed Oct 27 05:03:53 BST 2004

Rik Littlefield wrote:

> Marek,
>
> What optimization mode are you using in hugin?
> There is a known problem with pairwise optimization, due to hugin's
> making direct calls into pano12 and overriding some pano12 methods
> that changed between Max Lyon's version and the current version
> 2.7.0.6.  Pairwise optimization gives the appearance of working right,
> but I can see from debug printouts that internally there are
> mismatched calls.  The other optimization modes go through the
> PToptimizer utility and should see the same behavior as all other
> users of the new optimizer.
>
> The new optimizer has been wrung out pretty thoroughly by this point,
> not only by hugin but also by many users of PTgui and PTAssembler as
> discussed on the PanoTools forum.  Generally it is reported to be much
> faster and equally or more robust.  It is particularly good at not
> getting "stuck in the noise" tweaking parameters but not actually
> making progress.
> However, there definitely are cases where the new optimizer converges
> to strange parameter values, where the old one did not.  From my
> standpoint as the guy who did the optimizer mod, what makes those
> cases vexing is that the strange parameter values usually turn out to
> be "better" in the sense of fitting the specified control points with
> less error, although elsewhere in the image, away from the control
> points, the fit is worse.  Eventually reports of such problems died
> down.  I don't know why.  Adding more control points tends to make
> this problem go away, so increased use of autopano might have been a
> factor.

I'm definitely going to give it another try then (also because I like
the actual open source better than original partial open source
panotools ;)). I'm going to test it with the new snapshot that's going
to come out I guess pretty soon. Currently I'm stuck with my build,
which needs to be fixed, and I don't won't go back to one of snapshots
made in sept.

--
Thanks,
Marek