[ptx] Re: hugin snapshot

Pablo dAngelo Pablo.dAngelo at web.de
Tue Oct 26 21:51:35 BST 2004

Hi together,

I'm taking this thread to the ptx list, because its probably interesting for all of us.

> >>Yes it does need an installer. If only to ease the process for people
> >>who are not computer wizards of installing, upgrading and removing. I
> >>have already been working on this, but couldn't really complete until
> >>now. Look for it soon.
> >>
> >I think the autopano-sift packages has an installerscript that looks quite simple.
> >maybe we could use the same installer software.
> >
> >If we make an installer, it would probably be a good idea to supply the associated programs, like
> >pano12.dll, PTOptimizer.exe, PTStitcher.exe, enblend and maybe autopano.exe with it as well (and install
> >it into the base hugin directory). I guess a lot of people are put off by the need of searching for the
> >additional packages. For advanced installs, we could choose not to install these additional binaries, so that
> >power users are not complaining about the obselete version of the supplied packages.
> >
> >Then, the default pathes to the helper programs could be set to the HUGIN_INSTALLDIR\helperprog.exe, either
> >inside hugin, or in the registry while installing.
> >
> with panotools package it's a little different story. Max Lyons already
> did an installation of those, you only need to copy the dll without
> limitation.

Yes, this is a thing that should be avoided. I don't have a problem copying
dll files, but I'm sure a lot of people will scratch their head.

> BTW Max Lyons' version is the best - there's something wrong with the
> version from panotools.sf.net - the optimizer is doing really bad job
> comparing with the one from Max, and I didn't see any speed gain.

Really? I've been using the newer panotools version since a long time, and
it's really a lot faster, and can optimize the HFOV for partial pano's as well
(most of the time). It usually takes only a small number of iterations,
usually < 20.

Can you post an example where the this happens?