[ptx] Translation of hugin

Douglas Wilkins douglasw at zahav.net.il
Mon Oct 18 19:41:22 BST 2004

Hi there,

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 09:07 +0000, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> Thanks for the information.
> I had not checked since a moment and in the past hugin.pot was a bit
> outdated.

Yes it was, but that has changed :-)

> I'm translating the file.
> I will send it as soon as it is ready.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

> Just a question: is it preferable to have it in UTF-8 ot ISO-8859 ?

This is a tricky one. The short answer is for now ISO-8859.

The (slightly) longer answer:
At the moment we have been using ISO-8959, since most of the developers
work in a linux environment and there it matters less since gettext at
runtime "does the right thing" if your locale is UTF-8 (somebody correct
me if I have this wrong, but for my locales it does). On windows it is a
slightly different story, and I have not yet finished testing.
Also wxWidgets also plays a part, depending on whether the libraries has
been compiled for unicode or not.

If we do move to UTF-8 what I will probably do is to convert the .po's
with something like iconv and send them to the translators for checking.
Hope this answers the question

regards,
Doug