[ptx] autostitch -- fully automatic stitching by the Brown and Lowe

Pablo dAngelo Pablo.dAngelo at web.de
Mon Nov 29 21:35:27 GMT 2004

Hi!

I've posted a similar message from one of my other email accounts but its still waiting
for the postmaster to let it through, so I'm sending this one instead.

Its been quite some time since Matthew Brown and David Lowe published
their papers about SIFT features and panorama creation. Now a first (unlimited)
demo version of their software is available under http://www.autostitch.net.

Basically its autopano + PTOptimizer + enblend all in one program.

Works really well for most pano's with static scenery. Its the best automatic
program for multirow panos that I know besides hugin and Panotools :)

But this is not a big surprise since David Lowe and Matthew Brown have
invented the SIFT algorithm that is used in autopano and autopano-sift.

Luckily, one can't get perfect results out of an automatic program, so Panotools
are still the best program for technically difficult panos, because autostitch is
not very flexible, and doesn't support many features of panotools. Its a great
program anyway, and manages to stitch stuff better than any other tool
than panotools.

Unfortunately it is windows only.